Wednesday, February 27, 2008

2/27/08

Today I met with some Spurse dudes; Ian, Patrick and Matthew. They will be hosting a class this summer, during which Spurse and the students will do research and complete a project together that will be a component for their larger-scaleDeep Time + Rapid time project. I want to take it. They are working in town through Grand Arts, where I am working for now. I spoke with them shortly of my ramp.

Often, when I mention my plans to make a skate ramp as a work of art, Simparch is mentioned. Simparch built a Kidney Bowl, called Free Basin. Gallery goers were encouraged to view the bottom of the ramp sculpturally and those who skate could skate the ramp during gallery hours. Here is a video.













When Simparch showed Free Basin in Liverpool, they also built this amazing full pipe, I mean erected this humongous cylindrical minimalist sculpture being liberated from the elite cannotations of minimalism using unfinished, industrial lumber, or maybe it's a really rad Full Pipe.

I suggest checking out some of Simparch's other work. I am inspired by the direction they have taken functional art works.

Spurse.

Work.

Spurse.

That has been the bulk of my day today. Tommorow I will go on an adventure.

No comments: